There Is a Fast, Secure Alternative
How to send large files fast without FTP
So, we’re guessing you’re here because you no longer want to use FTP, or File Transfer Protocol. We don’t blame you. It was created in the 1980’s to facilitate file transfers between internal networks. It was not designed to be a secure protocol or to transfer files over public networks. It’s past time for an upgrade.
Why? Well, unless you take special precautions, FTP connections aren’t encrypted. Data is transferred in clear text, and it’s vulnerable to interception: packet capture, FTP bounce attacks, spoofing attacks, username enumeration, brute force attacks – good grief there’s a lot to worry about. During routine file sharing you could easily be exposed to serious security risks and the significant costs that go along with a data breach: lost reputation, lost trust, lost clients, stolen intellectual property, the list goes on.
There are so many massive data breaches these days, more people are concerned about data security, and they should be. But it’s tricky because the average person doesn’t have the advanced technical knowledge required to manage FTP. It’s a 40-year-old legacy technology, and it really can’t handle modern day data and large file sharing needs sufficiently.
Not to beat old tech when it’s down, but FTP is often synonymous with:
- Slow data transfers
- Complicated setups
- Limited analytics and reporting capability
- Significant administrative overhead
Honestly? Transferring large files with FTP isn’t even that easy. There’s no simple way to verify that a recipient received sent files. It requires server administration, which costs in terms of IT support and hardware. FTP is mostly used to transfer files to web servers, and many businesses use it to transfer files between clients and offices. But there’s a secure alternative – and it’s not in the cloud.
The cloud doesn't always offer a secure, private large file sharing solution
Cloud-based file transfer is essentially an enhanced FTP with incremental improvement. It simplifies FTP server management by offloading server hardware and software management from client to server. However, the switch from FTP to MFT, or managed file transfers, introduces several new issues:
- There is a substantial cost increase, which is more expensive long term.
- Organizations need to be HIPAA compliant for certain kinds of data.
- Companies will not have control over their data.
- File transfers are only as secure as the cloud vendor’s security controls. At rest and in transit encryption methods are often unclear.
- The cloud, and by association MFTs, are often a prime target for hackers. There are high profile public breaches almost every week. Even more scary? Most go undetected.
Binfer has built an FTP alternative that knocks out each of these issues to give users a fast, secure option to send and receive large files of any type, size or quantity. Basically, we created a way to make large file sharing very easy – without the cloud. Plus:
- We’re very affordable. We offer free data, and when you run through that you can choose from a monthly subscription or pay-as-you-go option based on your particular data needs.
- You don’t need a server to store files for transfer. We never store data, ever. We believe in data privacy and data security so much, we built our software so that we can’t look at your data even if we wanted to – and we don’t want to.
- We encrypt all data transfers using AES 256 bit encryption.
- We understand the power of data and reporting. We maintain detailed logs for all file and data transfers in case you need to audit.
- We automatically update changed files because, well, data sync is life.
Check out this video on how to use Binfer Sync.
With Binfer you or your organization can:
- Send any size, type or quantity of files with a simple drag and drop.
- Whether they’re videos, pictures or entire folders or directories, files will transfer fast. There is no throttling or bandwidth sharing and no need to compress or zip files.
- Binfer deploys quickly and easily using your existing IT infrastructure.
- We also offer web drop, file sharing, encrypted transfers and detailed reports.